First, what is truth?
The definition I like best is:
truth /tro͞oTH/
that which is true or in accordance with fact or reality.
noun: the truth
"tell me the truth"
What I like about this definition, is that its based on reality or fact. It is irrefutable, it is simply what it is, rather than someone's interpretation, opinion, or feelings.
Why is truth important? There are many reasons, but the main reason is that it is impossible to make efficient and positive changes without knowing the truth. It is impossible to discern where you are versus where you are going if you live in fantasy. As humans we can rationalize and alter anything to make it fit our agendas, but the truth is a constant that never changes.
If you are like me, there have been times when I thought bending, altering, or adjusting the truth was perfectly ok to do in order to bring about what I thought was a more positive result. I felt so strongly about part of a story of truth, that I would not acknowledge the parts of the story that did not align perfectly as I wanted. Those were minor details, what I wanted the result to be was more important than those minor details...
However over the years I have come to understand that any compromise of the truth is a dead end road in the long term. There really is no way to hide truth in the long term, the truth will come out and the longer we have tried to hide it the more damage that can be dealt or the more time we will waste on a road to nowhere. This is why trying to alter, change, or hide truth is a futile action - if what we believe is true, it will prove itself with time.
Having said that, we cannot always know exactly what the truth is at every single moment, and I believe each of us may see some parts of truth easier than others, so this is why we must work together to find the complete truth. You see truth is made up of many facets, one facet may be completely true but that isn't the only truth and sometimes truth depends on context. It can be confusing, but it does not have to be.
This is why we need to develop our relationship with God, he is the source of all truth and wisdom, and he will give of it freely to all believers:
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without
reproach, and it will be given him. James 1:5 ESV
https://my.bible.com/bible/59/JAS.1.5.ESV

No comments:
Post a Comment